little did i know that my 30th year would be so full of... well, just full really. i'm been in the throes of this uber full time photography gig. 60 hour weeks it feels like... i've got weddings every weekend... family shoots, editorial shoots, engagement shoots, + even a little shooting for myself. i'm always the first to admit that my great weakness in this entrepreneurial gig is good old fashioned time management + i've been struggling not the sink away under all the "to do's"... yet somehow in the midst of it all, i'm feeling so energized. like when you exercise you have more energy than ever??? yeah, like that. shooting like mad but so inspired + invigorated for more. i just got back from my second trip to hawaii this summer, for another wedding related working vacay... tomorrow i'm boarding a plane to seattle.... the first of two trips in one month. i'm super excited for a little personal trip to iceland in september + for a two week working trip to turkey in october. here's a few things i'm learning along the way...
- it's hard to have a lil' dog, + travel a lot.
- flying isn't what it used to be, but avoid american airlines at all costs. $8 blankets + their website blows to boot.
- stay on top of the bookkeeping
- flying time is great for editing time... i work better without the internet
- back it all up... (i recently got a drobo raid system to double, triple, quadruple back up my computer, applications, + images)
- apart from india, nyc is the hottest place i've ever spent time in the summer
- sending gear in to canon makes it come back feeling better than new
- get business insurance
- accumulate miles
- stay on top of editing... no more than three jobs behind at a time
- push yourself further... (i recently took on an editorial job that was way out of my comfort zone, + i was a lil' scared! but the job went great + the shots turned out amazing + i feel better for pushing myself out there....
- drink more water... + coconut water too
- don't run the AC all month long in NYC, unless you want a $192 monthly bill
- use album design templates... they save you time, + time = money in this biz
- there's not enough yoga in bushwick
- the master cleanse rocks!
- i started using my lens hoods a lot more... + i like it!
- i haven't eaten nearly enough ice cream this summer, or had enough margaritas... somebody help me fix this problem!
- i have every intention of making it to ross lake this summer, + to cape cod this fall...
- fresh mangoes continue to be my favorite fruit
- next summer i'm buying a bike
- there's beauty anywhere you look, if you know how to look for it...
here's two faves from last weekend's wedding... xo,